Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Husband Project Update

Ok - so life really does happen, even when you are sick! The last two weeks have been filled with sniffles, coughs, runny noses, fevers, ear infections and a big huge migraine on my part. . . . and a slight health melt-down!

Both my husband and I determined that we had gained 10+ pounds since September (we had each lost around 25 pounds on the South Beach Diet), and we need to start eating healthier again. . . well, healthier snacks, because I really have changed our dinners to be more healthy.

I decided that as the whole point of this project was to show my husband that I love and appreciate him, I decided to focus on health last week and part of this week, as he is really concerned about the extra weight, cholesterol, blood pressure, etc.

1. I pulled the South Beach books back out to see if I could start making a menu. I'm really NOT any good at this type of thing, so as of tonight - I'm still trying to figure out what to do here!

2. I threw out a bunch of junk food, and am trying to come to terms with throwing out a few more.

3. I went to our local Costco and picked up a bunch of fruits and veggies and cottage cheese (yes, I know - on the SB diet, fruit is not ok in the beginning, but our son loves fruit, and my hubby didn't know that we were re-starting, so I thought I'd try substituting the fruit for normal sugary snacks)

4. I pulled out all my serving size-ish tupperware type containers, and washed, sliced, scooped my way through everything I had just purchased.

5. I organized the top shelf of the fridge to hold each of the items (cottage cheese, pepper slices, celery and a few others) in neat rows that would be easy to grab out.

Now I need to re-organize the pantry and continue to throw out junk food or non-healthy items and come up with some more things I can pre-make so snacks and breakfast/lunch are easy to pull together.

Hmmm - my biggest problem?? Anyone have some suggestions on how to build menus and shopping lists? I've always struggled with this!

~ Wendi

3 comments:

Alyce said...

I don't have the easiest time with this either. I usually try to plan everything a week ahead, make a dinner menu, and I just kind of know what everyone likes/wants for breakfasts and lunches. My kids love instant oatmeal, so that's an easy one. Also you can make a big batch of pancakes or waffles and freeze them in ziploc bags. Not the healthiest thing in the world but better than eggos.

It sounds like you're off to a great start! I have a hard time keeping fresh veggies and fruits available in the house because they seem to go to waste. (We forget to eat them.) Precutting them sounds like a good idea. I usually just stock up on a lot of frozen veggies and then serve them with meals. We don't do so great on the healthy snacks. :)

Good luck!

LissaL said...

I am so not good at this either. I do try to keep healthy or low/ no sugar snacks in the house though, as that seems to be what gets us! And try to make dinners where you serve more veggies/meat and no darn mac-n-cheese:(

Donna said...

I subscribe to e-mealz.com It plans out my menu and the shopping list. Such a time savor and I takes the guess work out of it. the menus are pretty easiy and they have them broken up different ways. We eat the low-fat one but I think I saw a low carb menu.

 

Website Hit Counters
Spectra Art Paper